Let me ask you a question:
When was the last time you went out without makeup?
If you’re like most women, you probably wear makeup just about every day… it’s just part of your routine, and it makes you feel pretty and confident when you leave the house.
In fact, according to a recent survey, almost 70% of women feel more beautiful when they’re wearing makeup.
Now, I’ll say this right away: there’s nothing wrong with wearing makeup.
Even as a HUGE believer in natural beauty, I usually wear a little bit of makeup on the weekdays to help me feel fresher and more “put together” and a little extra makeup (like a darker lip or dramatic eyes) for a special occasion.
There was even a time about 10 years ago when I never left the house without foundation.
But then I learned something EVERY woman needs to know.
The truth is, daily foundation use can wreak havoc on your skin and that’s because normal washing doesn’t remove every single particle of makeup. Foundation is designed to stick to your face…so there’s always a little left behind, so over time, without a break, those “leftover” makeup particles build up, clogging and suffocating your pores... Causing breakouts, blackheads, dullness, and dry patches which you’ll probably want to cover up with more makeup!
It’s a vicious cycle — but there is one way to break it
I call it the 2-Day Skin Detox, and it’s one of the simplest things you could possibly do to help freshen, brighten, and revitalize your complexion.
Preparing for Your Detox
Mark two days on your calendar when you won’t have to wear makeup.
That’s the basis of the detox: For two days, you’ll give your skin room to “breathe” and clean itself out naturally by skipping most of your makeup.
NOTE: During your detox, you can still wear mascara and lipstick if you like, but anything that goes directly on your skin like foundation, concealer, blush, bronzer, or highlighter — should be avoided.
DETOX DAY 1
On Day 1, your goal is to simply leave your skin alone and let it naturally “push out” any product build-up.
- Start the day off with a gentle cleansing, and a light dose of moisturizer.
- Throughout the day, focus on hydrating your body. This will help give your skin the support and hydration it needs to do its job!
- A quick walk or jog is also a great idea on Day 1, since sweating helps clean out the deepest, hardest-to-reach parts of your pores. (Just be sure to wash your face afterward.)
- Feeling drab without your makeup? Try wearing color near your face - like a colorful scarf, earrings, or statement necklace - to brighten your look!
- Finish the day off with another gentle wash, and a light moisturizer before bed.
DETOX DAY 2
By Day 2, your skin has naturally pushed a lot of that “gunk” out of your pores… So now’s the time to take a more ACTIVE approach to helping it out.
- Start the day off with something spicy, if you can tolerate it. Add a dash of cayenne to your breakfast (or even to your coffee) to get detoxifying blood flow moving towards your skin. (Try cinnamon if you have a tough time with spice.)
- Early in the day, use a clay mask to help draw impurities out of your pores. You can find very inexpensive (but effective!) clay masks at any store where skincare products are sold.
- Towards the end of the day, exfoliate your skin gently by mixing granulated sugar with just enough lemon juice to make a paste, this is a great alternative to a dark spot remover for reducing the appearance of age spots and sun spots (If you have sensitive skin, use water instead of lemon juice.)
- Before bed, gently cleanse your skin one more time, and follow with a richer moisturizer (or a double-application of your usual moisturizer) to re-infuse your skin with the hydration it may have lost during detox.
I highly recommend following these steps at least once a month and skipping makeup for at least two days every week (preferably in a row).
By following these simple steps, you’ll be giving your skin a fresh start and a new glow and before long, you may find your skin looking so beautiful, you don’t even need foundation at all!